Tuesday 20 December 2011



This has to be one of the earliest El Groover strips to appear in the NME. Note the hat and the horse head codpiece all this was at he peak of glam rock when bands were trying to be further and further out. Benyon called this his "anti cartoon strip style" designed to discomfort the viewer. The words were more important then the drawing, in his opinion, and it wasdone as a reaction to the Marvel Comics such as Conan which were truly huge at the time. I seem to remember his favourite was the Silver Surfer.

Benyon never set out to to standardise his Maestroship. From week to week all the characters looked slightly different and kept evolving while the "Spiders from Mars" playing endlessly in the background.

I apologise for this mornings poor writing, but I had an odd night last night. I sat listening to the waves hammering  against the rocks while I went through a pile of drawings and I began remembering things I haven't thought of for some while.

I was reflecting how different the music scene is today and I was wondering what Benyon would have thought of SPop Idol & X Factor. Maybe I'll find something in one of these boxes.

No comments:

Post a Comment