Monday 9 January 2012

A section from an early, rambling cartoon strip that may never have been published, at least I don't remember having seen it before and there are no 'mark ups' scrawled on the back or in the margins.
Searching through an archive is an exhausting business, it takes up so much time your mind keeps wandering. When I found myself with the drawings I thought it would be a good job to do during the winter, but so far we haven't had one. I can still walk on the beach without needing medical attention like the past two winters, although it was difficult to stand up last week.
I have realised, however, that cartoons were very important at tracing events and styles and it's sad how they've been dropped by newspapers and magazines. It's all to do with students being trained to use computer originated images and the advent of bloggs and tweeting and of course publishers and editors who no longer have ink  pumping through their bodies instead blood all combined with the remorseless persuit of blandness.

No comments:

Post a Comment