Sunday 1 April 2012

 

Classic early Groover from Ziggy Stardust days, waxed spikes and rat codpieces and early hat with references to the Lone Ranger. It was drawn on an odd piece of paper unlike later drawings on illustration board. Benyon had been working with Patto on an album sleeves and some odd adverts for the Melody Maker and met Muff Winwood who was involved with the band and it was in his office that he head Mott the Hoople's version of 'all the young dudes'. He couldn't get Ian Hunter out of his head but after 'roll away the stone' MTH trickled away into the sand. I knew I had the band's first album upstairs and after finding the cartoon I started to look for it and got waylaid by two Vanilla Fudge albums that I can't remember buying and then I saw Benyon's name written on the inner sleeve. He was sharing a flat and wrote his name on his albums in those days. Maybe he lent them to me but I really can't remember how I come to have them. But wondering, looking, thinking and a long lunch took up most of yesterday, c'est le groove.

No comments:

Post a Comment